The object of Little Athletics is for the enjoyment and competition of the children. Parental encouragement is recommended but in a friendly and helpful way. Chastising or criticising performance cannot be tolerated, as it is not in the best interest of children. The Centre endorses the following rules for parents:
- If the child is interested, encourage them. However, if they are not interested, do not force them;
- Focus on the effort and performance rather than on the outcome of the event;
- Never ridicule or yell at them for making a mistake;
- Remember that they are involved in athletics for their enjoyment, not yours;
- Remember that children learn best by example. Applaud good effort by all athletes.
Even though this year is an Olympic year. Saturday compilations at Chapman Oval is not the Olympics!